I am a great believer in keeping things simple. One of the simplest ways of getting more business through the door is providing a service that people like and will recommend.
In my opinion, word of mouth recommendations are worth their weight in gold.
It allows potential customers an insight into how other people, like them, have found your product or services. Hearing people say good things about you increases their confidence in you and helps persuade them they haven’t made a mistake in choosing you.
So here are 10 really easy ways to provide good customer service and get people saying good things about you and recommending you and your business.
1. Always provide excellent value. Your product or service should be first class and competitively priced.
2. Give first class customer service. Think about how you like to be treated and treat your customers in the same way.
3. Be polite and friendly. A smile and a cheery ‘hello’ really do go a long way and help you to get to know your customers.
4. Answer queries promptly. If you don’t supply the answer you can bet one of your competitors will.
5. If a customer has a complaint, apologise. Now isn’t the time to get into an argument. Sort it out quickly and you might keep that customer rather than lose them.
6. Always thank customers for their business. A quick email or phone call goes a long way. A ‘thank you’ card or note also works well.
7. Be present and active on social media. Provide interesting or amusing content, special offers and promotions, and encourage your customers to share them.
8. Spread the love. If you receive positive comments or praise ask if you can include it on your website or on social media. Good testimonials are gold dust.
9. Refer business to non-competitors. If it is a job you cannot handle, recommend someone else. It costs you nothing and you may find that they refer business to you in turn.
10. Get involved in the community. Sponsoring a child’s football team isn’t going to cost the earth. However, that is your name on those eleven shirts being watched every week by family and friends, not to mention the opposition and their crowd!
Finally, as it is that time of year, may I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!