6. How to find new customers
Waiting until your business is having a quiet period before you canvass for new clients just isn’t acceptable. The search for new customers should be an essential ongoing task for all businesses, big or small.
Of course, your existing customers are important to you but most businesses are likely to lose 10% to 20% of their customer base each year. At the very least you will need to replace them.
To identify and attract new customers you might want to consider these strategies:
- You need to know who your ideal customer is. Some will be constant complainers, others may prove unprofitable and yet more will only be in the short term. You need to identify the ‘keepers’ and concentrate on keeping them on board.
- You cannot overstate the importance of personal recommendations. If an existing customer recommends you to a family member, friend or work colleague, your job is made that much easier. Of course you will still have to deliver on quality, price and deadlines, but such referrals can earn you a bit of slack. Do not be afraid to ask clients if they know anyone who might want to use your services.
- Your website needs to be turning browsers into customers – if it isn’t, you need a new one! Take a look at Google Analytics to see how many people have visited your website and how many of them have made a purchase. It may be worthwhile employing an expert to look at your site and give advice, as fresh eyes can often spot old errors and new opportunities.
- Follow up any lapsed or lost customers. A quick call or email can remind them that you are still available to help them if their current company lets them down and gives you the opportunity to correct any misconceptions they may have.
- Communicate. It cannot be stressed enough how important it is to keep existing customers and prospective clients in the loop. Tell them about any new products or services, inform them of special offers or write an interesting blog or web article. If you don’t feel able to do this yourself, use an expert.
Web4tradesmen specialise in designing the best possible websites for small businesses and can help your site avoid these pitfalls. We will provide a professional looking website at a competitive rate, specifically aimed at your target market with clear calls to action and regular updates.
To find out what we can do for you just give us a call 01452 864402.